Halloween Do's and Don'ts

Halloween is a fun time, but can be a scary time for your pup. With that in mind below are the guidelines for your pup's Halloween.

Pups under 6 months should not going out after dark. Softer tempered, less confident pups, even up to a year of age or older, possibly shouldn't go out at all.

Dressing up your pup is okay, but try to keep the costume to a minimum and nothing over their face (e.g., a ghost costume). If your pup does not like what he is wearing, then find something else or do not dress your dog up. We may think they look really cute, but your pup could be totally stressed out.

Things to watch out for when out and about: "Goblins" and other creatures running up and intentionally trying to scare puppies. Special effects that suddenly start to move, light up, or make noise. Special effects that move in unnatural ways (which includes almost anything mechanical). Anyone or any special effect in costume or masks. Kids that are screaming and acting afraid, especially when they are not. If puppies are not comfortable with people in masks or costumes within their own homes, they should not go out trick or treating.

If a puppy has shown reactivity to unusually dressed people or people in any unusual circumstance, it wouldn't be appropriate to take them out.

If your pup starts to act stressed or afraid while you are out, you MUST take the pup home.

Above all, use common sense, and don't try to scare a puppy! It would be better to stay home than for a pup to have a bad experience, so err on the side of caution.

* * * * * * * * * *

Chocolate and Dogs don't Mix

Just a reminder to keep your candy up out of reach of your pooch, especially chocolate. Chocolate can be deadly to dogs, dark chocolate is the worst.

If your dog should eat chocolate, please call a leader immediately and we will tell you how to induce vomiting. You should always keep a bottle of peroxide in your home and a turkey baster which is a long plastic tube with a rubber bulb on the end. We do use those items to make our dogs vomit things up the stuff they shouldn't have eaten. NEVER do this procedure without consulting with a leader first, and if we are not available, call your vet. You may never need to use these items, but sometimes time is of the essence if your dog has swallowed something that is poisonous, and it's better to have it on hand just in case.